Tuesday, May 18, 2010

My Trip to Venezuela


Gabriel Ayala, My Trip to Venezuela
Saturday, November 21st, 2009, I was sitting at an airport in Houston, Texas on my birthday getting ready to depart to Caracas, Venezuela. As the invited featured artist at the “Festival Internacional de la Guitarra Academica”, I arrived in Caracas after an eight (8) hour flight just as the sun was about to rise. I was able to see the beautiful coastline and mountains when our plane started to land. Arnaldo Moncada, Director of Festival, met me at the airport. Then we headed west to Guarenas where I would be based out of for the next four (4) days. 
Monday, November 23rd, 2009, I was driven back to Caracas to give a master class at the oldest music conservatory in South America, Escuela Superior de Musica. While there, I taught three students who played music by Antonio Lauro (Venezuelan composer) and Heitor Villa-Lobos (Brazilian composer). The master class was very well attended and the audience seemed very excited to have me at the Conservatory. At the conclusion of the master class, I was given a certificate of appreciation for teaching and was given the honorary title of “Maestro Gabriel Ayala”. I cannot even begin to tell you how honored I felt to have been given such a prestigious title. The Director of Escuela Superior de Musica, Floria Paredes, asked me to play a song for those in attendance and I humbly accepted. I played my own arrangement of Verano Porteno by Astor Piazzolla that was featured on my 2008 CD release entitled, “Tango!”. Immediately following the performance, guitarists asked me where they could get my arrangements and I informed them it was not published. I hope to publish all of my arrangements/transcriptions in the near future. After the master class, we headed over to the heart of Caracas where I would be featured on a television show that is broadcast all across Venezuela. It was a culture shock to see armed military walking around freely. At the television station, I was able to perform two songs and then give a 15 minute interview. 
Tuesday, November 24th, 2009, my morning started off with a  brief presentation and I had the rest of the day free. The committee decided to take me to the beach “la playa”. We drove for a couple of hours before arriving at an incredible location (see attached photo).
At the beach, they wanted me to have a traditional Venezuelan meal and ordered me a fresh fish platter. The fish we ate (photo attached) was called a Roncador “snoring fish”; the platter also included coleslaw and fried green bananas topped with mayonnaise, cheese and ketchup. 
A side dish you’ll just have to try yourself one day. That evening my friend, Director Arnaldo Moncada, gave a solo recital of his own compositions.  As an artist, I hardly get the chance to see other performances and was very happy to hear the influences of traditional Venezuelan music that was being played. 
Wednesday, November 25th, 2009, the day was spent sightseeing around Guarenas. I found the architecture of the buildings very beautiful and the people of Venezuela were very welcoming. That evening we travelled to Guatire where I would perform my first concert held in a building for the Performing Arts. In the green room, I couldn’t help but smile because I could hear traditional music being played by local musicians from the window. I almost wished that I could join them and participate by performing with the locals.  My concert featured composers from South America including Piazzolla, Lauro, Villa-Lobos, Gardel, and many others. I received a standing ovation and played another tango arrangement as an encore. 

Thursday, November 26th, 2009, the morning was spent having more traditional food. I loved the meal called “empanadas”; an empanada is almost like a version of a calzone only filled with ingredients such as shredded beef, machaca, ham and cheese, and potatoes. I also enjoyed eating empanadas with a green sauce; I don’t want to know what was in it but it tasted really good. That evening I played my final concert in Guarenas at a breathtaking church (photo attached)right in the heart of town.
This concert program still featured South American composers but added composers such as JS Bach, J Rodrigo, E Satie, L Brouwer, and others. At the conclusion of the program, I received a standing ovation and before I played my encore Arnaldo presented me with a certificate of participation for the Festival. He announced to the audience that I had missed my birthday by spending it traveling to Venezuela so the audience still standing proceeded to sing me Happy Birthday followed by a traditional Venezuelan birthday song (photo attached).  
After performing my encore, I was met by the majority of the audience backstage for a light reception.  Following I headed back to the hotel to gather my things and leave to Caracas where I would be flying out. On the way to the airport Arnaldo stopped to get one of Guarenas famous empanadas to send me off on a full stomach. 
I will remember all my new friends and colleagues in Venezuela and thank the Festival for the opportunity to share my music with many people. I look forward to traveling back to South America again soon. 

-G

www.ayalaguitarist.com
www.myspace.com
www.facebook.com/ayalaguitarist
www.twitter.com/ayalaguitar

Skype: ayalaguitarist